University applications are in full swing in Great Britain. Thousands of Year 13 pupils are polishing off their Personal Statements which they will send off before 15th January* as part of their UCAS** application.
Then begins the wait for the replies from the five potential universities chosen. One clear choice, however, has already been made: the subject which is going to be studied. This thought gave me the idea of looking into what various people – those in the public eye as well as ‘ordinary’ people – read (studied) at university. What impact does the choice, made very often at the age of 17, have on a person’s future?
My daughter has recently graduated from Bristol university with a degree in Modern Languages and is now hoping to forge a career in Fashion. Her friends at Bristol completed degrees in subjects including German, Economics, Physiology and Neuroscience; it will be fascinating to see what these lead to – just as it is to take a look at previous undergraduates’ subject choices.
PEOPLE IN THE PUBLIC EYE
- Rowan Atkinson Electrical Engineering Comedian & Actor
- Chris Martin Ancient World Studies Singer
- Margaret Thatcher Chemistry Prime Minister
- J K Rowling French, German, Greek Author
- Hugh Grant English Actor
- Martha Lane Fox Ancient & Modern History Founder: lastminute.com
- Tom Hiddleston Classics Actor
- Theresa May Geography Prime Minister
- Justin Welby History & Law Archbishop of Canterbury
- Mick Jagger Business Rock star
FRIENDS WHO GRADUATED IN 1980s
- Lynn History Partner, London law firm
- Simon French & English Banker
- Peter Modern Languages Writer & journalist
- Alyson French and Russian Anglican Vicar
- Tom History of Art Art curator
- David Chemistry Banker
- Nick Modern Languages British Ambassador
- Alexandra History Founder: Augustine Jewels
- Barnaby No degree Notaphilist & auctioneer
- Will No degree (Army) Stockbroker
- Saskia French & Spanish Head of Music, Xpression FM
- Rosie Neuroscience & Physiology Banker
- Jake History Entrepreneur, Technology
- Laeticia History of Art Caterer
- Anastasia Classical Studies Sports Marketing
- Greg Philosophy Actor
- Gina Theology Primary school teacher
- Clementine Archeology & Anthropology Video producer
- Kai Russian & French Asset Management
- Ellie Geography Human Resources
* The deadline for Oxford or Cambridge and medical or veterinary school was 18th October.
**University and Colleges Admissions Services.